Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Touched by an Angel

Well, it's my second day working at the nursing home and I absolutely love it! There are so many special residents there with such sweet spirits and I love every one of them. But during my 6 hour shift today I had some especially touching experiences that I thought were worth writing down and sharing.

I started my shift off with some room cleaning (my previous job as a medical facility janitor really came in handy). Jasen, one of the residents, is so sweet. He always thanks me for every little thing I do, compliments me whenever he sees me and then sends me off with an endearing "I love you!" Then I helped with showers, served dinner and volunteered to feed one of the bedridden ladies. She is usually quite unresponsive to most of what we say, but she really perked up and started talking when I announced that I had brought her ice cream. Who doesn't love ice cream?! So I sat and talked to her while I slowly fed her spoonful after spoonful. Sometimes the straw in her drink would splash a little water on her face and she would surprisingly cry out whichever expletive she thought of first haha. Of the few things she would actually say, I was surprised to hear words like that come out of her mouth. Old habits die hard I guess.

Anyway, after dinner we did some cleaning and then started putting the residents to bed. I decided to help another caregiver take care of a gentleman and shower him. But on my way to grabbing towels I ran into Virgil who was slowing riding down the hallway in his wheelchair. I asked him if I could do anything for him and he told me that he needed a top sheet on his bed because he didn't have one and his blanket was too scratchy. So I set the towels down, grabbed a top sheet and wheeled him to his room. As I was remaking his bed, he kept telling me what a good job I was doing and how much help I was to him. I told him it was not a problem and I was happy to help. When I was finished he thanked me over and over. I gave him a firm hug in which he hugged me even tighter. As we were embracing, with tears in his eyes, he said, "Thank you so much darling. You make it worth living here." At that point I was trying not to tear up myself... he is definitely one of my favorites. And as much work as it is, I couldn't ask for a more rewarding job.

Well, the night went on. I did some more showers and then went to check on Pat. I found her sitting on the edge of her bed in the dark so I went over to ask her how she was. Pat, I've learned, is a talker but she never really finishes her sentences. So it's best to just listen and nod when she speaks. But I could tell she was upset so I sat down on the bed next to her and rubbed her back while she talked. I asked her what I could do to help and she said she didn't know. So I suggested, "How about a hug?" She said, "Oh yes!" and we hugged. That's when the tears came flowing out of her and I just held her. I gently told her, "I'm always here for you Pat," and with that she said, "I love you!" We hugged a little longer and then I kissed her on the cheek and told her goodnight.

And there you have it. I began this job thinking that I was going to make a difference in the residents' lives, and maybe I am. But I'm learning now that they are the angels touching my life in a way that I will never forget. And there isn't a price you can put on that.

3 comments:

  1. That's so sweet to read and wonderful for them and YOU! I especially love it thinking about my own grandma in an assisted living place and all of her caregivers. Thanks for what you're doing and keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! It's such a blessing for me as well and I want to help them as much as possible!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete