Monday, August 18, 2014

Summer Days: Part One

Okay, now that I'm actually back in Rexburg for a while, I figured it was time to catch up on all the festivities that have taken place in the last three weeks. What a great summer it has been so far!

For starters, Jordan and I took off for Utah once I finished the semester so we could be in Salt Lake City for the annual Pioneer Day Parade (since I had never seen it). We met up with one of Jordan's best friends who had camped on the street all night and watched the many floats slowly make their way down while baking in the heat haha. You know what the best part was though? Seeing President Monson. But we didn't just see him. As his car drove by, our group stood up to show respect for our modern-day Prophet  and as we were waving, he made eye contact with each of us and told us to sit down haha. That just proves how funny and humble President Monson is. It was literally the best part of the weekend and was such an emotional spiritual experience for me. That short, powerful moment strengthened my testimony in so many ways, and I know without a doubt that Thomas S. Monson is God's mouthpiece on the earth today. He speaks with God and works with Him to guide His church. I love that man.
                     

As for the rest of the weekend, I was finally able to get my Utah drivers license so Jordan and I could have car insurance (cause you know, that's kind of important). I'm moving up in the world! Haha not really but it makes me feel somewhat important.  We also spent some time visiting family friends out in Tooele as well as family members out in Herriman, Utah. It was a fun mini vacation and it was even more nice to get out of Rexburg and be with family again!

When we got home from our Utah trip, we quickly prepared for another adventure with friends and family. Juli and her brother John stopped at our apartment to spend a night with us on their way home to Utah from North Dakota and then Shonna and Ronnie arrived shortly after to spend the week with us! That first night we all went to Pizza Pie Cafe so we could stuff our faces with salad and pizza and then just lounged around watching Netflix and TV. It was great having Juli and John visit because they are always a ton of fun! I'm so grateful to have the Webbs and the Amparans in my life.


For the next couple of days, we tried to give Shonna and Ronnie a true Rexburg experience by eating lots of good food and going to lots of fun places. We ate at the hospital (I'm telling you, it's a place you gotta try here), Winger's, Gringos, Arctic Circle and Costa Vida. We also took them to play pool at the college, we went mini-golfing at Fat Cats, Grandpa took them fishing, they played Laser Tag with Marina we got our nails done and watched quite a bit of The Office haha. But don't worry, we also spent some time outdoors at the Sandbar over in St. Anthony and at Aunt Janell's work party which was a blast with the Ostermillers and with Ashlee and Stephen. I'm sure my sisters enjoyed their time in Rexburg cause I know I loved being with them!
   
               
On Friday, August 1, my mom and dad came down to visit! Even though they unfortunately came to attend a family funeral, it was still really nice having them here. We ate lunch at Mandarin and then played more pool at the college. I know Mom and Dad like visiting the college because it brings back a lot of memories for them. It's still neat for me to think that my nursing picture will hang in the same hall as my dad's picture only 14 years later, and I get to walk the same streets my mom used to walk with her frozen hair in the snow haha. That night we also had a crazy fun BBQ over at Grandma and Grandpa's, playing games outside, telling scary stories and watching hilarious YouTube videos. It's always a party when our family (including Ashlee and Stephen) gets together.
Saturday was mostly spent at the funeral with lots and lots of family. Even though we'll all miss Grandma Verda Merkley, we know she's having a blast up in Heaven with her husband, parents and siblings. I love Mormon funerals because instead of being really sad and heartbreaking, they always feel like a giant family reunion celebration full of happy laughter, funny stories and yummy food haha. I absolutely love being a Warren and continuing the legacy that name carries. After the funeral, we spent more time playing games, including a family game of volleyball in the yard, and ended the night with "The Avengers." Jordan and I really enjoyed having Mom and Dad visit and finally be able to see our first apartment!
             
Mom and Dad left on Sunday while we went to church. When we got home, Jordan suddenly had a crazy attack of itchiness from his sunburn so we spent some time taking care of that and then Ronnie and I played cards while he slept (thanks to the Benadryl I gave him haha). Keeping with tradition, we made a giant Sunday dinner with lots of good food and watched "Mrs. Doubtfire." Little did we know that the great Robin Williams would pass away a week later, but that is one of the classic movies we will continue to enjoy for the rest of our lives.
                              

Monday was spent running errands, visiting Grandma and the boys, getting a library card and renting books on CD, doing laundry and packing, and getting ready for our trip up to Washington! It had been a great week with family in Rexburg and now we were looking forward to a great week with family in Richland. And that's where our next adventure begins... :)

TO BE CONTINUED

No comments:

Post a Comment