Sunday, June 15, 2014

To My Parents

In honor of Father's Day, I want to dedicate this blog post to both of my parents and to all they've done for me in my short life. They've been there from before day one and I know I'll be able to count on both of them forever. Sure, like every other child and their parents we've had our disagreements, scuffles and frustrations. But in the last few years as I've lived away from home and truly started to realize how much they mean to me, we've had some pretty great times and grown a lot closer.
My dad. I have never looked up to a man in my life more than I have my dad. He is everything I wanted in a husband (and thankfully I found the perfect man to fulfill that) and he still inspires me today. In fact, that's why I went into the nursing field. He is an avid gardener, a quality he inherited from the men in his life and one I hope to teach my children as well. On Saturday mornings I knew exactly where I could find him and I would sometimes get up early just so I could spend some alone time with him outside. He is also a dedicated journal-writer which is something I look up to very much and he inspired me to write in my journal every single day for almost two years in a row. He inspired me to play softball and worked with me when I couldn't slide into bases (still can't actually but that's okay). Dad has always put his family first. Yes, there were times when he would have to leave a family activity to help at the hospital or the fire station, but other than that he was always spending time with us and Mom. He took us camping as much as possible, and even built a fire pit in the backyard for those fun summer night campfires and s'mores. I know I can always bug him with a medical question when I have one and I can always count on him to make me smile with a cheesy joke or embarrassing Facebook comment. He's taught me to stop complaining so much and focus more on the positive (especially when it comes to school), because things will work out as long as I stay close to God. He's taught me the importance of keeping an orderly home and I've always tried to please him with taking my housework seriously and cleaning when I could. There's a reason God gave him all girls to raise: he is the strongest yet most sensitive man I know. (I mean, how many dads out there make homemade bread and sing karaoke Elvis songs?) He has all the necessary talents and qualities to raise up righteous mothers and he has set a perfect example of how men should treat women. He perfectly fulfills his responsibilities as a father and a priesthood holder to protect, preside and provide for his family. God knew I needed him as my father and I'm so grateful to know our family will be together forever.
My mom. First off, if I can ever be half the woman, wife and mother my mom is, then I'll know I'm doing something right. Mom literally does everything. She works a part-time job, attends every single sporting event and choir or band concert, participates in PTA, serves in the ward Relief Society presidency, makes homemade pizza like every other week (which is at least a three hour process every time), babysits for other families, goes above and beyond in visiting teaching, all the while maintaining a spiritual home that everyone loves to visit. Seriously, my friends LOVED coming over to my house and I was never embarrassed or ashamed to have them over. Oh and did I mention she has seven daughters to love and nurture as well? Mom is Wonder Woman. Need I say more? Many people often comment on how much I look like her and that is one of the best compliments I could ever receive because my mother is the most beautiful woman--inside and out--that I know. She still went to college in Hawaii even when her friend bailed at the last minute and even decided to serve a mission for the church. Thank goodness she listened to the spirit because that's how she met Dad and that's how I came to be. (She and Dad are also the reason I decided to pursue Spanish classes in middle school and high school. They know everything!) Mom's wide range of musical talent has inspired me to explore mine as well. How many women out there can beautifully sing soprano, alto AND tenor parts? Because of her I wasn't afraid to step up and help out the tenors in my high school jazz choir. She has taught me that there is no limit to what I can do and I should be proud of my talents. She also inspired me to continue with piano lessons. Did you know she can still play the Charlie Brown theme song? After teaching piano lessons to many different people for several years, I can still remember how peaceful and happy I felt when Mom would play beautiful piano music after we went to bed.  She literally devotes all of her time and energy 24/7 to her family which has made the biggest difference in my life. She is the perfect example of a righteous stay-at-home mother that I wish to emulate when I too become a mother. She has one of the strongest testimonies of the Gospel and anyone who meets her can see Christ in her countenance. I know her life hasn't always been easy, but she has never given up and I admire her strength more than I could ever say. She is everything I want to become and exactly how I want to live my life.
So after presenting all of this evidence, the only viable conclusion is that I have the greatest parents on earth. Of course they aren't perfect, but my sisters and I certainly aren't perfect children so that doesn't help. But they are about as close to celestial parenting as parents could get. Although I didn't necessarily believe it while I was growing up, I now know that everything they do is inspired by love for their children as well as a spiritual commitment to their responsibilities from God. Gosh, I feel like there's so much more I could say to brag about them because my heart is extremely full of love and gratitude. But if you know my parents then you know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not sure what I did to deserve such wonderful people as my eternal earthly parents. But whatever the reason, I'm working to someday repay them for their daily sacrifices and prove to them how much I love them. So I'm hoping this blog post is one step closer to proving that love and appreciation.

I love you, Mom and Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment