Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Playing Catch-Up

Happy Nurses week to all of the nurses in my life whose examples have made me the nurse I am today! Since we've been celebrating Nurses Week at work the last few days, I thought it might be fun to catch up on my blog and update everything that's happened in the last few months. Has it really been that long since I last wrote?! I guess I've been slacking on that.

Well, in case you didn't know by now, I finally got a job as an RN at the University of Utah hospital working on the Inpatient Rehabilitation unit. This consists of mostly working with stroke and spinal cord injury patients. After five weeks of orientation I am finally working on my own and I actually feel like a real nurse! Imagine that haha. It is definitely hard work, especially getting used to working night shifts and being away from Jordan, but it is definitely worth it. Even with hours of running around, doing things that might make others throw up just thinking about, it only takes one grateful patient to remind me why I got into this career in the first place. I come home from each shift grateful to have a mind and body that function properly and I'm constantly reminded that my problems seem like nothing compared to what my patients have to deal with everyday. This job helps me keep a positive perspective on the little things and that's why I love being a nurse.

Anyway, what else have we done lately. Well after a long couple months of job hunting, Jordan and I decided to take a road trip and spend a week in Washington before I officially started working. It was so much fun! We played lots of games, ate lots of food and watched lots of movies haha. We were also there to celebrate Mom's birthday so I got to spoil her on her special day. Jordan and I decorated the house with the decorations Dad bought, and then Mom, Grandma and I got pedicures and ate lunch out. And of course, we couldn't go to Washington without eating at our favorite Chinese restaurant, Shang hai! We also celebrated Grandma Shaftoe's birthday by eating at Old Country Buffet, another family favorite. It was a crazy week surrounded by crazy family but that's exactly what we wanted. We can't wait to go back this summer once Alex gets home!

Our extremely comfortable new couches
Now that I'm working, we were finally able to buy a second car and boy do we love it! We got a 2012 Hyundai Sonata which is perfect for getting around town and taking long road trips. Plus, Jordan doesn't have to worry about taking me and picking me up from work anymore haha. We also bought new couches because even though we loved the leather recliners, they were getting super old and you could basically feel the springs when you sat down haha. So that's what's new in our lives right now.
Our "new" 2012 Sonata
Jenna also came down to visit last weekend and it was great getting to catch up with her and all her Hawaiian adventures. We realized that life has definitely changed and our relationship has changed along with it, but we are still close as ever and that's what matters. We had fun taking her to restaurants she'd never eaten at (such as Café Rio, Lion House Pantry, Café Zupas, Old Spaghetti Factory and Hire's) as well as spending part of the day going to a session at the Salt Lake Temple and touring Temple Square. While she was here, Jenna got to experience our crazy but cute primary class and we were definitely grateful she was there to help haha.We were also lucky enough to meet up with Idaho family and watch Kyle play baseball here in Salt Lake City. It was a great reminder that family really is everything and I absolutely loved going through the temple with my sister! It makes me feel like such a proud big sister knowing we are both worthy to experience the blessings of the temple together. We owe that week to Dad's hard work and Mom's willingness to let him work at the airport which allows the girls to fly free and visit whenever they want. What a great blessing it is and I'm so excited for the other girls to come down.

Dad during BYU-Idaho's nursing program
And that brings us to today. It's kind of crazy to think that I already have a successful and meaningful career being only 21 years old but trust me, I have definitely worked hard to get here and I don't take it for granted at all. I just hope that as the years go by, I will be half the nurse that my dad and Aunt Janell are and continue to bring honor to the Warren name as a nurse.

Besides a few setbacks here and now, Jordan and I are doing great. He continues to work his two jobs and go above and beyond in supporting our family. Like I mentioned before, we've realized more than ever these last few days (and months I guess) that family is everything and they are worth every effort to love and keep close no matter what's going on.
Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment